Monday 21 November 2011

My 15 minutes of fame Versus 30 minutes with Scott Maslen?

My birthday week is upon us (and in NoshWorld that’s a pretty big deal!) so I thought I’d better get you updated before it starts to get crazy.

So what have I learnt this week? I’ve learned that I am useless in front of a camera but enjoy being in the company of a celebrity!!

A dating site contacted me a couple of weeks ago advising me that a TV crew were in the process of making a documentary about relationships and gave me contact details asking if I wanted to contribute?

Now I’ve tried many different things this year stepping out of my comfort zone and trying to expand on my life experiences. These included taking up body combat classes (just done my 77th class tonight – totally addictive), assisting in school talks (sitting in front of an assembly of children trying to act like a grown up!), going on a last minute holiday (less than 7 days notice – no time to diet or shop!), helping a friend with his book signings (dressed in a prisoner outfit and handing out flyers – don’t ask), attending a BB audition with a blow up man (he was very deflated he didn’t make it into the BB house!) and lastly starting this blog. All of which I have really enjoyed so I thought what’s the worst that can happen? Who’d have thought I wouldn’t be any good on TV? Most people thought I’d be brilliant! I love to talk!

So I fired off an email with an extract of the blog and was surprised to get a phone call the following day from one of the assistants. She asked some questions about my lifestyle and background and thought my story sounded interesting and invited me to attend a filming session.

Now I have to explain, I have never been filmed before (Well not by a camera crew or for public view! Private view is a whole other story!)

I was working under the impression that I would be prepped beforehand and be filmed talking to a person, I didn’t realise that I would have to talk into the camera the whole time, I had to talk to a machine??? Which is a really weird experience especially when the questions are being asked from one direction and I have to respond in another?

I was a blithering mess, I came across totally boring, bland, insincere and blatantly single for a reason. My mind went blank and I couldn’t think of a single good thing to say about myself or describe what I’m looking for in a partner! (May be that is why I’m single, I don’t know what I’m looking for??). You can ask me now, NOW I have a million answers! Dammit!

I came away feeling really disappointed in myself, I like to give 100% to every thing I do and I felt like I didn’t do that on this occasion. I can only but pray that I get cut or I will probably come across like a complete lunatic on national TV and then no one will want to date me  - gasp!. (My only excuse is that it was bad timing, I’m only a mess for 3 days of the month and this happened to fall on one of those days! I’m sure many women will sympathise).

Even retail therapy and going to see the Christmas lights in Carnaby Street didn’t cheer me up but that’s because the theme is mistletoe this year and can not possibly compete with the snowmen theme a few years ago! (I LOVED the snowmen, they were AWESOME!). I did however have a lovely meal with my nephew and appreciated all the support (texts, calls and emails) I got from my friends who all seem to believe in me so thank you for that.

In contrast to my week, my cousin was having one of the best weeks EVER, last Monday she got to meet Peter Andre as he did a publicity thing at her shop. She managed to wrangle her way into covering the checkouts even though she is floor staff??! (She’s hilarious)

She had to work for 5 hours on the checkout just to serve him! (That’s dedication for you)  The local papers were there snapping away with their cameras. I got to see a picture one of her colleagues took and it looked like it was worth the effort! Can’t wait to see that in the papers and on Facebook!

The following day she won a local competition - the prize? To meet Scott Maslen  (Jack Branning from Eastenders).  He was to turn on the Christmas lights in the County Mall in Crawley on the Thursday!.

The prize included a private meeting in the management suite with a champagne reception and buffet. a framed photograph of you with him, and signed autograph and a goody bag!

I had three missed calls on my mobile and a rather hysterical voicemail to call her ASAP as she could take a guest. I have a confession to make, I don’t watch Eastenders (gasp) in actual fact I don’t watch any soaps and haven’t done so for years. My first instinct was to politely decline the offer so she could take someone who might appreciate it more but after I’d spoken to her and realised how contagious her excitement was I couldn’t say no! Besides once I’d googled him and seen how “hot” he was, there was no stopping me!! Lol!

I have to say I had a fabulous evening, he really is gorgeous in real life – I’d go as far as saying even better than his pictures. In all the pictures I’d seen of him he looked quite serious which is a shame because this man has the sexiest laugh EVER! I like a man who’s entire expression changes when he laughs or smiles. It is a very attractive quality.

He also had impeccable manners and was incredibly polite (more brownie points – swoon, swoon), he made time for all 9 winners (and their guests), he signed lots of autographs, he even let my cousin call her children and spoke to them on the phone - not that they heard anything he said because all you could hear was the screaming at the other end of the phone! Lol! He was like “have we finished screaming yet?” to further screams “Erm ok not quite” He’s obviously used to the attention!  

I asked him to sign my autograph to “Nosh” he was like “you know what that means where I come from don’t you?” I responded “It’s short for Noshaba but yes I do know” at which point he laughed, I was like “yeah and feel free to add your number on the back!!” (He didn’t in case you were wondering but hey you don’t ask you don’t get!) Total respect to him.

I have to admit I had had a fair bit of champagne by that point and as my cousin doesn’t drink I only felt it fair to drink her share too. I am such a cheap date, a few glasses and I was well merry. I even tried out one of the “methods to meet someone” after the celebrations. My cousin needed to pop in to Asda on the way home so I went in with her and yes people I managed to pull in a supermarket! (Shame it wasn’t Waitrose but hey what’s a girl to do? Besides the bloke was rather fit!)

I think my method was pretty good? I was wearing a short skirt, fur boots and a jumper, walking around with my blackberry in my hand wondering around the alcohol aisle buying champagne! Must try that again soon!

So last week ended on a high, and I’m hoping this week should be even better!

I have a busy week lined up There’s the speed dating tomorrow, Ed Byrne on Thursday, my Birthday Dinner on Friday with some of my closest friends - Bridget Jones style – but I’m not cooking because that really would be Bridget style – blue soup etc though if I had a man like Darcy to help me, it would be worth the effort!! Anyway I’m digressing!

Then on the weekend for the time ever in the history of time I’m not going clubbing with the girls (gasp – yeah I know doing a lot of that lately) instead I am going away for my birthday weekend to a rather posh hotel with a spa where hopefully I will get spoiled rotten (here’s hoping!).

So will have plenty to update you with next week! Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent. Great blog as usual. Such a shame that Scott never put his number on the back of that photo for you!! I would definately try the champagne aisle again too. DY xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed that , it was funny and a welcome break. Well done Nosh. AA

    ReplyDelete