Friday 23 September 2011

What's the best method to meet someone?

I came across an interesting forum this week where a guy confessed to sleeping with 18 women over the last 2 years using the free dating site that I am on (I wasn’t one of them in case you were wondering). He achieved this by changing his user name and profile every 30 days and because he doesn’t have a photo on his profile he can stay pretty much anonymous (I don’t communicate with people without photos so this was probably my saving grace!) Also by changing his profile it looks like he is a new member and is therefore shown more predominantly on the site (a major flaw in the system I believe).

Anyway he went on to say if you’re looking for marriage you shouldn’t be on a free site?!! (Opinionated little twat) This got me to thinking whether he is to some extent right? I’m not saying I’m looking for marriage from a free dating site but a relationship would be a good start? I have been on this site for nearly 3 months now and even though I’ve been on a couple of dates, more than not I have met time wasters. The length of time I’ve been on is partly my fault because I can go for a week at a time and not bother to log in (its called having a life) May be if you dedicated an entire month to this you would yield better results?

Then again it only takes one good date to meet the right person? Also I consider myself as someone genuine on the site so I find it hard to believe there aren’t other people like me, you just have to get past all the liars, cheaters, commitment phobic and weirdo’s. At least when you do eventually meet a decent one you’ll be more grateful for meeting them then otherwise would be the case?

So here’s the dilemma, which is the best method to meet decent eligible bachelors/bachelorettes?? Traditionally the workplace is supposed to be a good place but I have a general rule not to get involved with work colleagues as I tend to like my jobs and don’t need the complication. (Besides the decent ones are all married!).

Same goes with my gym, it’s MY gym, I’ve been a member for years, I’m there all the time, I don’t want to have to change my routine just to avoid someone I got involved with.

They reckon the supermarket is a good place? I’m thinking more Waitrose (according to my work colleague they have the better cars!) than Asda? (Full of men who looking like they are from the living dead according to another friend!). Have to say talent in Tesco’s wasn’t bad tonight, shame I’d popped in straight from the gym with no make – up on! Still not 100% on which direction I’m meant to put my cucumber in my basket to announce I’m single?!
.
That brings me back to online? In which case I need to try a few different dating sites to see which ones fair better (watch this space)

I’m also considering speed dating? You can have anything from 12 – 25 dates in one night, all lasting 3 minutes and ending with the sound of a bell – I’ve tried this in the past and believe me 3 minutes can be a very long time! I think the key here is to have a few random questions ready before the date so you don’t end up sitting there for 2 minutes talking about the weather or their job!

My most memorable experience was when I was in my 20’s and I went to an “Asian” only speed dater event. (Should have known better really) I had over 25 dates in one night, by the end of the night I had pretty much forgotten what any of the men had looked like (even though I had taken notes!) I ended up on a proper date with some bloke who I had corresponded with and who had sent me a link to his website which had a picture of him – turns out wasn’t an up to date one!! Gasp! (You live and you learn)

He turned out to be shorter than me! (Please bear in mind when speed dating that the women remain seated so it is difficult to appreciate the height of the man! Lol).

Was officially one of the worse dates ever, we agreed to meet in London, the tubes weren’t working so a 20 minute tube journey ended up as a hour bus ride from hell, we were all crammed on the bus like sardines, it was not the best start to the date.

When I finally got there he was obnoxious, rude, arrogant, and opinionated (wasn’t like that during the 3 minute speed date) I kept looking round helplessly for the bell to ring so I could move on! The journey to see him was 2 hours, I stayed less than an hour. We were in some empty wine bar (so much for him knowing the area well!) believe me had there been a window in the toilets I would have quite happily risked tearing my skirt while scrambling out of it!! (Classy)

I ended up making my excuses to bring the date to a close, we walked out together so I could get a bus to Victoria and so desperate to get away I got on the first bus that came a long without caring where it was heading, called goodbye over my shoulder and jumped on board. He just stood there flabbergasted at the speed of my exit!

I promptly called my friend to tell her I never wanted to date again and I’d rather stay single for the rest of my life. I told her how I’d jumped on any bus just to get away from the bloke (much to the amusement of a really cute bloke sitting a few seats away from me), he was sweet and as he got ready to disembark at the next stop he came over and said if I wanted to get to Victoria there would be a bus from the stop across the road shortly?

Spontaneous Nosh wanted to believe him and get off the bus with him and have a chat, who knows where it could have ended? However Sensible Nosh knew it was getting late, I didn’t know where I was and I decided knowing my luck he was a serial killer so I politely declined and got off at London Bridge and got the train home. To this day I still wonder what could have been! (Mind you, after this week’s episode of Crime watch I’m thinking I probably made the right decision – it’s a scary, scary world out there).

Like I say I’m now in my 30’s, I’m older, I’m wiser and my selection process is better so I’m going to try a few different methods over the next couple of months to see where I get! I know a man’s for life and not just for Christmas but wouldn’t it be lovely to wake up with one Christmas day??? (Best put it on my wish list for Santa)

Wish me luck! (I may need it) Will keep you updated! Thanks for reading.



4 comments:

  1. Lol xx excellent as usual xx SW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I read your blogs, I always remember Sarah Jessica Parker, from Sex in the City. Brilliant, love the sense of humour! SV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply fantastic! xx (LP)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "which direction I’m meant to put my cucumber in my basket to announce I’m single"

    you are so funny! :)

    ReplyDelete