Thursday 2 February 2012

January – All about the Drag – from dressing up as a man to going on a date with one – oh yeah – finally! Get In!

Ok so January is well and truly over and I get the feeling that every month this year will have a significant theme. So for January this was “All about the Drag” It all started with a “gender bender” fancy dress party, in other words we had to dress up as the opposite sex. (I was going to go as a drag queen – ie a woman, dressed as a man, dressed as a woman, but it got waaaaay too complex!) So Me & Bestie went as New York gangsters with our fake tashes, our pistols tucked into the back of our trousers and my Tommy gun & cigar handy. I was greeted by the birthday boy in his blue sequinned vintage dress and heels! Awesome! 

I have to say I had a really good laugh (nothing to do with the several bottles of cheapo champagne consumed). I was impressed at the level of effort people had made to dress up, there were plenty of fake eyelashes, eye shadow and lipstick (not usually things I associate with men) I was flabbergasted at how fabulous some of the men looked as women! Not being funny but some of them could give my legs a run for my money!  Jealous!! Lol! 

The guy dressed as Freddie Mercury in the “I want to break free” video was amazing!  He totally nailed that look. Just when you thought things couldn’t get any more outrageous in walked Lady Gaga or “Lady Gay Gay” as we liked to refer to her/him (I don’t know it all got very confusing!) The fabulous outfit came complete with a home made paper Mache telephone headband! It had to be seen to be believed! I have no idea how these guys survived dancing in 4 inch heels but I was told that they had found a whole new respect for us women after a couple of hours in them! Lol! There were so many other fabulous outfits both male and female but I’d be here all day describing them!

Bestie was impressed at how comfortable the men’s clothes were so that’s another thing to add to my list on “how men have it easier than us women!” 

The following weekend I attended a panto in Leicester Square with one of my Julies to see “Snow white and the seven poofs”. Once seated we set eyes on the most gorgeous man that has ever walked the earth amongst the audience (obviously gay – how unfair is life???).  He was with his partner who was much older and not really in the same league? So I was working on the assumption he was rich or had some other sought after asset? Turned out I was right and he was a TV producer – Get in!. My next question was – were they in a relationship or was he “hired” for the evening? If the latter I wonder how much he charges?! 

The show itself was soooo good, incredibly politically incorrect but totally hilarious, lots of profanity including plenty from the audience! The finale had me in tears of laughter with Mrs Moore and her oversized syringe. We got to meet the cast afterwards for a drink at a gay bar which was a first for me! I would definitely recommend it! They are doing another show in the autumn called Drag Divas so I can’t wait to see that! 

Is it wrong that some men look so much better dressed as women? It’s a bit of a let down seeing them as men afterwards?! Lol! 

Moving on  - You know you always read that men who drive fast, expensive cars are compensating for inadequacies elsewhere (clears throat) turns out there could be some truth to this? I laughed my head off when one of my work colleagues told me about her friend who had started dating a bloke who drove a rather expensive sports car (I’m talking in the league of Ferrari’s & Porsches etc) and was really disappointed when they finally made it to the bedroom, its such a cliché but who knew it would come true? 

After further discussion with a group of friends it was concluded that when dating men its not the size of their feet you should be looking at its their.....................hands! Men with small hands or to be more precise short stubby fingers will undoubtedly have a small penis! (I bet every man reading this is now examining his hands! Lol). So you have been warned but then is size everything??? I know for some, the size of his wallet is more important? Not for me though! Lol.

It has been quite busy on the dating front  - Men who did not get a response from me this week included the obese man – step awaaaay from the KFC and let me introduce you to a salad! I’m sorry but I don’t mind a man with a “few extra pounds” but if you blatantly need to lose in excess of 60 lbs., I don’t care how much you earn or how great your personality is, I will not be dating you.

In my defence I have put in my profile that I go to the gym and that even though I don’t expect my man to do the same I do like a man who looks after himself, this probably includes getting on the scales once in a while?

There was the guy who’s opening line was “tell me one random thing about you” to which I sooo wanted to respond “I’m not interested?” How’s that??? Hee hee!

The guy who emailed to say “find me, find peace?” Why? Are you planning on killing me?  (If he wasn’t before, he might be now!)

The two Asian men – oooooooh dear where do I start?. Deep breath - To the two Asian men who sent me an email to say hello using words like “jee” and my personal favourite “Kidha” you sooo misinterpreted my profile! For the record if I’m ever going to date an Asian man – it has to be a well educated, well mannered and sophisticated man who wouldn’t dream of using words such as “jee or kidha” in an introductory email or ever really? (Its ok my Asian friends are wetting themselves reading this because they know me so well).

Anyway as I was saying it has been quite busy on the dating front in that not only communicating by email and text I actually made an effort and went on a date! This did however bring up a slight dilemma with my FWB, ie do I tell him or not? More importantly at what point do you have to tell him? From my point of view a relationship with the FWB is based on the fact that you are both single at the time and it is of convenience to you both. How many FWB’s you have at any given time is still up for debate. So when either of you meet someone else then the other person backs off until such time you both find yourselves single again or you lose interest in each other and go your separate ways.

What threw me was that he text me to let me know he had a date the following weekend and I hadn’t told him I had just been on one?! Lol! In my defence I’m not sure he can handle this as well as I can! So what did I do? I did what I always do - I spoke to a few people to gather opinion. 

The first person I spoke to (single female) believes that you can date more than one man at the beginning until you have decided or rather you have both decided to date “exclusively” up until that point anything goes, ie you can keep your FWB and or accept other dates should you wish to.

The second person (married female) generally agreed with this, so until you’re in a proper relationship, anything goes. On the other end of the spectrum my friend (female in a long term relationship) classed this as cheating, actually I’m not sure she’s entirely happy about the FWB thing as a whole but who knows! 

I remember chatting to one of my ex’s (way after we had finished dating) who had told me he had met a really lovely lady who had wanted him to wait a while before sleeping with him and he had totally respected her wishes, candidly adding that of cause he had had to sleep with other people while he waited! Lol!  MEN! Is it any surprise I’m so cynical???! At least he was honest with me (rolling of eyes). 

So anyway I went on a date last weekend with this really nice bloke, (average sized hands and didn’t drive a Lamborghini so it’s all good). We had exchanged a few emails and a lot of texts (he liked to text!) which didn’t bother me as it was nice to have the attention, I was really nervous about meeting up as experience has taught me that exchanging too much information before a meeting can be dangerous as the expectations are higher and there is more chance of disappointment.  With this in mind I try to meet up with people as quickly as possible.  

He was lovely, attentive, caring, well mannered and really sweet and could nearly talk as much as me - well ok when he could get a word in edgeways!! We had a lot in common, and ultimately wanted the same things in life.

So what was wrong with him? Not much, apart from the fact I wasn’t sure I fancied him! He said he liked to be the “funny one” which is hilarious because I’m quite “funny” myself and as we were both competitive and stubborn with it, I really wasn’t sure it would work!  He made some comment about how size doesn’t matter and I was assuming he was referring to his height (5ft 7) but you never really know do you??? Question is “is that a risk you’re willing to take?”.  Lol.

He was very sociable and fit – played football every week. I just wasn’t sure? To be honest I’m never sure on a first date, in fact I can’t think of a single first date that I’ve come back from and thought yeah he’s lovely – apart from Steve and look how wrong I got that! Or actually the first time I set eyes on my ex (the one I was with for 7 years) I knew the minute he walked into the room I wanted him (we weren’t even on a date but may be that kind of emotion only happens when you’re a teenager?) Anyway I’m older now and I’m usually not sure until the second date and this is the crucial one to whether I will see this person again or not. (For the record this doesn’t mean I go on a second date with everyone sometimes you know on the first one!).

We arranged to meet during the week. The night before which I got a text from the guy in Portsmouth that I’d cancelled a date with earlier in the month saying that he had being giving it some thought and really regretted that we didn’t meet up and may be we could try to get around the whole distance thing? (In other words – you saw my updated pictures and decided you should have made an effort?). I told him I was going on a date so couldn’t but agreed to let him know if it didn’t work out!

So I met up for my second date in a really nice curry house. However by the end of it I had pretty much made my mind up that I just wasn’t feeling it, there was no chemistry which is such a shame because life could have been so much easier just to go a long with it but that wouldn’t have been fair to either of us.  We would have been great friends but that’s not what I’m looking for, I have plenty of them already.

I’m looking for the one man, that one instant connection which I’m not 100% sure is out there but I don’t want to settle for anything less? Is that wrong? I want the man I’m at total peace with, really comfortable in the company of - I want to lie in a field side by side listening to “chasing cars” by snow patrol playing full blast! Is that asking too much? Obviously!

Anyway I’m at present suffering terribly from “girl flu” so had to take a break from dating for a bit though I have agreed to meet the guy from Portsmouth next weekend. Knowing my luck I’ll really like him which will be a logistical nightmare!  I will keep you posted! Thanks for reading.

12 comments:

  1. Very amusing and a great read! Good luck with the Portsmouth date xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to it. Posted your blogg on twitter to all the magazines xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are nuts but that's why i love you, thanks for the support. :) xx

      Delete
  3. As ever...love it!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab blog!!.... Gonna take a leaf out of your book (well blog actually) next time I try the dating game..... I got chatting with someone on internet, exchanged our mobile numbers, texting was quite frequent... Which like you was nice to have the attention. He then asked me to meet up with him.... Now this is the start of where it went wrong, ya see being a Mum of 3, time is far from easy to find. Hence his surprise or maybe frustration that I couldn't find time for him for the next week and a half!!.... However, the texting kept going, which had me a little worried cos if we covered it all in the texting, what were we gonna talk about on the actual date!!??!!.... So as the date was approaching my normal panic started to set in, which is normally where I shut and lock all my doors and refuse to go out!!.... Not this time though I was determined to see it through. On the day of the date I was a complete nervous wreck. When I finished work, I got another text from him saying he had met someone else over weekend and didn't want to muck me around!!!!..... So wanted to text back..... You..... Bleep!!!.... Bleep!!!... Do you not know what emotional roller coaster I have been on for last week!!??!! AARRGGHH!! But instead I just put... Thanks for letting me know, I wish you all the happiness (the good thing about a text, is you never know the tone it was said in)..... Anyway before this turns into my blog not yours!!.... I agree with you, you shouldn't leave it too long before making the date!!... Me... Well I'm not gonna bother at all until my kids leave home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh SG that was so sad in upsetting way! Nosh is good at babysitting lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha ha!!!.... Lisa I might bear that in mind :-Dx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Sorry its taken so long to respond, its the first time today that I've sat down (and it's my day off - go figure????)

    First of all "I hear ya!!" lol! I hate dating too and there are times where I stress myself out so much I make myself ill! I do some times think life is so much simpler on my own and yes I like to hide under the duvet too!

    So yeah I've sooo been there and done exactly the same thing! Actually you made me laugh because the last bloke I dated text a lot too and I have to admit I was a bit nervous before our first date because he had asked me sooo many questions that I really couldn't think what on earth we were gonna talk about when we got there! (I'd recommend a glass of rose - worked for me!!)

    The problem with internet dating is that its 24hrs and men seem to expect you to be available 24hrs too? I haven't got the kids but I have a pretty full social life so yeah I can't drop everything at a moments notice for a date.

    I know what a good mum you are and how much you put your kids first and I think this is what being a mum is all about and any man worth his salt should appreciate that quality in you.

    I think its totally out of order for him to wait until the day of the date to cancel, there is no excuse for this as he obviously knew beforehand and I don't know about you but I have to be very organised to fit everything in so cancelling on the day is just selfish.

    I think you did the right thing by texting him and wishing him luck, believe me he will need it! Its so much more classier to be polite than to rant and rave. At the end of the day you are a fabulous person and its totally his loss.

    I'm really pleased you are out there and trying and I really hope you don't let this man and this experience put you off? I've met some lovely men recently who are totally genuine and have kind of restored my faith a bit? Admittedly they weren't right for me but it does mean there are nice men out there.

    Much love & luck to you bird :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always a comfort to know your not the only one who has these experiences ... Am sure there is a man out there for each of us, but mine is gonna have to wait more than 24hours that's for sure!! ...

    Love ya too chick :-)xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your writing is so addictive. :)

    ReplyDelete